K-12 South Dakota Accreditation
On March 22, 2005, the South Dakota Board of Education approved new administrative rules for District Accreditation and Improvement. Administrative Rules 24:43 outline the process for required school improvement plans for all public and private school districts that wish to maintain or seek state accreditation.
The accreditation process also includes the requirement for a review of each district, in 5-year cycles ARSD 24:43:02:05. The purpose of the review is not only regulatory but also intended to aid schools in the constant school improvement process. Requirements for the review can be found in ARSD 24:43:02:06. All currently accredited schools and districts must host a review for accreditation. If a district is currently accredited by an external accrediting agency, such as AdvancEd, the district must still host a visit from the State.
24:43:02:06. Accreditation review. At the conclusion of the five-year cycle, at a time mutually agreed upon, any public school district or nonpublic school that is eligible for continued state accreditation shall undergo a comprehensive review by the Department of Education to:
(1) Assess progress with the comprehensive improvement plan;
(2) Review the public school district or nonpublic school's performance during the preceding five years, including the documented academic performance of its students;
(3) Provide a general assessment of educational practices;
(4) Make recommendations regarding the review findings for the purpose of improving educational practices beyond the level of minimum compliance to foster practices of continuous improvement; and
(5) Determine that the public school district or nonpublic school, including all related schools and programs, is in compliance with state laws and administrative rules.
Source: 31 SDR 178, adopted May 4, 2005, effective July 1, 2005; 33 SDR 55, effective October 2, 2006; 40 SDR 40, effective September 11, 2013.
General Authority: SDCL 13-1-12.1, 13-3-1.4, 13-3-47, 13-13-18.
Law Implemented: SDCL 13-1-12.1.
Huron School District #2-2
Click the images below to connect
to our social media accounts